What is ISO 45003?
ISO 45003 is ‘Occupational health and safety management – Psychological health and safety at work – Guidelines for managing psychosocial risks’
In short, it is a standard that focuses on the mental health of workplace health and safety. The standard focuses on identifying psychosocial hazards that can affect an employee’s health, safety and wellbeing, and putting in place control measures which will improve these factors.
Why is ISO 45003 important?
Mental health is an incredibly important factor in an employee’s health, safety and wellbeing. If current working practices negatively impact an employee’s mental health, this could lead to poor health and associated conditions (e.g. cardiovascular disease, musculoskeletal disorders, diabetes, anxiety, depression, sleep disorders etc.) and associated poor health behaviours (e.g. substance misuse, unhealthy eating etc.) as well as reduced job satisfaction, commitment, and productivity.
Other impacts of not addressing psychosocial risks include:
- Increased costs due to employee absences
- Reduced turnover
- Reduced product or service quality
- An increase in recruitment/higher staff turnover
- Increased costs of training
- Workplace investigations and litigation
- A damage to the organisation’s reputation
By highlighting and managing psychosocial risks within both individual’s jobs and the organisation as a whole, especially those that could be improved, it is likely that employee satisfaction and productivity will also be improved as a result.
Other benefits include:
- High levels of discretionary effort
- Enhanced productivity
- Improved recruitment, retention, and diversity
- Enhanced worker engagement
- Increased innovation
- Organisational sustainability
- Legal compliance
- Reduced absence from workplace stress, burnout, anxiety, and depression
Do you offer assistance with ISO 45003?
We’ve been hard at work training and formulating policies, procedures and templates that will assist in gaining ISO 45003. As such, we are able to offer assistance is ISO 45003 along with the assistance we can currently offer for ISO 9001, 14001, and 45001.
For further information, please get in touch.